Saturday, September 18, 2010

Week 3 Readings/Muddiest Point

Lesk:

The reading focused on representation of documents in a digital setting. It talked about scanning, and brought to my attention digital character recognition. I would like to learn more about this technology since I feel it may have great implications on the future of digitizing objects.

Arms:

This reading explained several types of technologies and languages used to create digital documents, such as HTML, XML, SGML, and CSS. I had previous experience with CSS in LIS2600, where we used the Cascading Style Sheets to create inline and external style sheets. For some reason, reading about the standards and languages seems more difficult than actually applying the rules to the technology. I learn best by doing, but this reading did a pretty good job in describing these principles.

Lynch:

This article focuses on explaining the role of identifiers in the online environment. What makes the internet possible are links that are connected by nodes. Each link must have a unique characteristic to set it apart from the rest, and to make it searchable. For a webpage the URL acts as the identifier. For books and other consumer commodities, the ISBN gives an object a unique identity. Without these "handles" in place, digital documents would be impossible to independently identify, as they exist in a ubiquitous environment.

Paskin:

This reading was also about identifiers, but more focused on the technical aspects in relation to digital libraries. The reading describes DOI identifiers and how they make objects classifiable and distinctive to a researcher. Some of the technical aspects included syntax recognition, along with resolution and metadata components.




Muddiest Point:
I suppose SGML is a concept I could use better clarification on. For example, what are the main differences between SGML and XML?

No comments:

Post a Comment